By Darrell Lewis
Read or Download A Wild History: Life and Death on the Victoria River Frontier PDF
Best australian & oceanian history books
In October 1975, in the course of the decolonisation of Portuguese Timor, 5 younger tv journalists travelled from Australia to file at the brewing unrest within the area. It used to be a trip that might be their final: Greg Shackleton, Gary Cunningham, and Tony Stewart of Channel Seven, and Brian Peters and Malcolm Rennie of Channel 9, have been killed by way of the Indonesian army as they filmed the infantry troops advancing into the border city of Balibo.
Through January 1943, Australia had emerged from the shadow of battle in a powerful place. The victories in 1942 at Kokoda, Guadalcanal, Buna, Gona and Sanananda had secured the northern coastlines of Papua and Australia. Australian forces have been now poised for an entire scale offensive to disencumber New Guinea from the japanese, the most important and most complex operations of their heritage.
An Unsettled background squarely confronts the problems bobbing up from the Treaty of Waitangi in New Zealand at the present time. Alan Ward writes lucidly in regards to the Treaty claims procedure, approximately settlements made, and people to return. New Zealand’s brief heritage surely finds a treaty made after which time and again breached.
Australian Race kinfolk has been a topic of constant controversy, no matter if concerned with Aboriginal matters resembling the excessive Court's Mabo choice, or the newest wave of immigrants. This ebook presents the old context useful for an knowing of latest concerns in a society coming to phrases with local name and multiculturalism.
- Finance, Politics, and Imperialism: Australia, Canada, and the City of London, c.1896-1914 (Cambridge Imperial and Post-Colonial Studies Series)
- Die Vorbereitungen Ludwig Leichhardts erster Australienexpedition im Spiegel seiner Korrespondenzen (German Edition)
- A History of Southeast Asia: Critical Crossroads (Blackwell History of the World)
- Commandos: Heroic and Deadly ANZAC Raids in World War II
- The United Nations and the Indonesian Takeover of West Papua, 1962-1969: The Anatomy of Betrayal
- When the Farm Gates Opened: The Impact of Rogernomics on Rural New Zealand
Extra resources for A Wild History: Life and Death on the Victoria River Frontier
A Wild History: Life and Death on the Victoria River Frontier by Darrell Lewis